Back to school season is here and there is so much to do. The school year might look a little different this year but some things will remain the same. Meals and snacks are an important part of any school day and we all need brands we can trust for different meals. Sara Lee® is a trusted bread brand I like having around for quick and even family-friendly meals, for my family and I. Whether you’re looking for an after-school snack or lunch for homeschooling, you’ll want to be prepared with recipes that get you through the school year. (Stay tuned for a family friendly recipe – Cheesy Mexican Melt and a special offer.)
Food essentials like bread are so easy to keep on hand. Sara Lee is a traditional bread brand made with care and no artificial flavors, colors, or high-fructose corn syrup. I pick-up Sara Lee 100% Whole Wheat Bread, with my Walmart Grocery pickup order every week. I make sure to add it to my weekly grocery list and simply add to cart, for my grocery order. Bread is such an essential around here for quick recipes and I order it without even thinking twice.
Click the below image to add Sara Lee® Bread to your Walmart Grocery cart.
If your kids are like mine, they still have their strong preferences. Always look to customize recipes to your family’s likeness. Remove lettuce and tomatoes for those who don’t like them. Add more cheese for the “cheese lovers” in your family. For sandwiches, customize the flavor of bread for each person. My family likes Sara Lee® 100% Whole Wheat Bread, which contains 11 grams of whole grains, per 1 slice serving. There’s also several other flavors available including, Sara Lee® Butter Bread, Sara Lee® Honey Wheat Bread, and Sara Lee® White made with Whole Grain Bread. There is enough variety to make the entire family happy – perfect for creating different meals, for different occasions.
Since my family homeschools, I’m always looking for savory lunches to keep everyone happy until dinner. These “Cheesy Mexican Melt” sandwiches are just that. With lots of shredded cheese and taco-seasoned beef as the base, they are a “mashup between a grilled cheese and a taco”. As I mentioned before, these sandwiches can be customized for each family members likeness. Here’s the recipe.Print
Cheesy Mexican Melt
This savory sandwich is quick and easy to prepare. This recipe is perfect for the Back to School season – after school or for lunch, if you’re homeschooling.
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Lunch
- Sara Lee® 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- 4 tbsp. margarine squeeze butter
- 1 pound of Ground Beef
- 1 ounce of Taco Seasoning
- 2 cups of lettuce, chopped or shredded
- 2 Roma Tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups of shredded cheese, Triple Cheddar or Mexican Blend
- In a skillet, cook ground beef until brown, then drain.
- Add taco seasoning to skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Spread margarine butter on one side of Sara Lee® 100% Whole Wheat Bread, twice.
- Layer sandwich (buttered-side up) with beef, lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese.
- Heat skillet on medium-high heat, cook sandwich (flipping once), until cheese is melted. Remove from pan. Slice and eat immediately.
- While ground beef is cooking, prep lettuce, tomatoes, and cheese.
- To keep tomatoes from getting soggy, don’t press sandwich when cooking. Only flip once. Remove from pan when cheese is melted.
Don’t Miss This Special Children’s Book Offer – Purchase 4 eligible products at a participating Walmart location or Walmart.com between 7/25/20-9/7/20 to receive a book. Visit nourishingreading.com for details and terms and conditions.
The school year may look a little different than ones before. That’s perfectly okay. With proper planning, even for meals, this school year can be a great one. Whether you’re preparing lunch boxes or delicious at home sandwiches, always pick-up the brands your family likes and you trust. Have a great school year!